The Bolduc House is not only a National Historic Landmark, it is also one of America’s best examples of early French architecture. Today, the home is owned by a not-for-profit organization known as French Colonial America, but the original owner was Louis Bolduc, a commission merchant of French-Canadian origin. This house is believed to be one of the earliest built when the town relocated to its current site after the repeated flooding of the original location in the 1780s. The Bolduc family occupied the home until the 1940s, and then it was restored to its configuration circa 1815-1820. The 18th century French-Creole vertical log structure is complete with a Norman truss roof system, four-sided wrap around gallery, and 70-80% of its original structural fabric intact. The three main rooms and attached stone kitchen are furnished with original artifacts of the period.
Primarily in the cellar and foundation, due to the natural aging process and deterioration of the materials.