A few kilometers from Bayeux near the Landing Beaches, stands the Abbaye de Longues, an exceptional testimonial of religious life, architecture and decorative arts in Normandy in the Middle Ages. This striking former Benedictine abbey dates from the 12th century. The abbey features a complex of buildings, the church, chapter house, the monks’ refectory, a garden and a beautiful collection of glazed tiles from the 13th century that are among the finest in Normandy. The abbey was sold during the Revolution. The remaining buildings were saved from ruin by U.S. Senator Charles Dewey who bought the estate in 1932 and began the first urgent restoration work. Spared from destruction in 1944, the abbey is now being restored by its current owners. It has received several FHS restoration grants.
This cultural Grant will allow a photographic study to be made by a drone in order to aid with the next phases of restoration of the abbey and to promote the site and enhance its communications materials.