The Château de Chéronne and its logis-gate (building) have never been sold and have always been transmitted to successive generations through marriage. The site is first mentioned as far back as the 11th century and the seigneurie in the early 14th century. The impressive logis-gate, that marks the entrance of the estate, dates from 1455-1498 and was built by the prominent local dignitary Hervé de Chahanay, seneschal of Maine, governor of Perche, bailiff of Chartres.
In the 18th-19th centuries the ground floor of logis-gate was occupied by the head farmer of the estate and the rest of the building was used for storage of agricultural equipment and tools. The logis-gate is an authentic testimonial to the Château de Chéronne’s role over the centuries as a functioning agricultural estate with its disctinvtive style and character in the heart of a traditionally argricultural region.
the late 15th-century logis-gate building to regain its early Renaissance aspect, including complete restoration of the walls, floors, ceilings, ironworks, masonry and decorative elements