Abbaye de Longues (Calvados)
The Abbaye de Longues was founded in 1168. The first Benedictine monks came from the Abbaye de Hambye (Manche). In 1257, the community has 22 monks and in 1760 it was reduced to just five members. The Bishop of Bayeux has the abbey closed in 1782, following a lengthy trial. The abbey is sold during the Revolution. Classified as an Historic Monument, the remaining buildings were saved from ruin by U.S. Senator Charles Dewey who in 1932 bought the estate and began the first urgent restoration work. Spared from destruction in 1944, the abbey is now being restored by its current owners.
roof of the church
$4,560 (in addition to several previous grants)