Chapelle Templière de la Commanderie d’Epailly (Côte d’Or)
The commandery, or rural estate, was built for the Knights Templars in 1209. When the order was dismantled in 1319, their possessions came under the order of the Hospitallers of Saint John of Jerusalem who lived there until the Revolution. Then estate was confiscated and sold as state property and the chapel was transformed into a barn. Still a farm today, the commandery still bears the traces of its Templar and Hospitallers past, in a rural setting that has been largely preserved. At the beginning of the 20th century the commandery was saved from demolition. The current towner has courageously labored for
many years to preserve and give a second life to the commandery through cultural activities and won a major battle to prohibit wind turbines from being installed nearby and was thus able to preserve the pristine countryside surrounding the estate going back to the 13th century.
Restoration of the vault, counterforts and upper level of the chapel that suffer from water infiltration
New York Chapter and Private Donors