The island-fortress of la Conchée is one of the most technically challenging of the celebrated military engineer Vauban’s fortresses. Dug into solid rock, this natural fortification is strategically located to protect the entrance to the maritime port of Saint-Malo. Completed in 1710, it has resisted invasions and most of the ravages of time. In 1988, a group of passionate enthusiasts created a non-profit association to purchase and restore the abandoned and decaying historic island-fortress.
Restoration of the southern quay-stairway to facilitate safer access and prevent further erosion