Vernon House, a national historic landmark, has a rich architectural and social history. In 1758, Metcalf Bowler, a wealthy merchant purchased the elegant house. Comte de Rochambeau, leader of the French forces in America, used the house as his headquarters. The house became the nexus of all French military activity in the city, with the highest-ranking officers in the French expedition taking the immediately surrounding houses as their quarters. The Marquis de Lafayette and leaders of Congress were received at the house.
Roof dormer windows and 27 pairs of double-hung, wooden sash windows.