The château was constructed in the 13th century and rebuilt in the Renaissance style in the 16th century by Pierre de Pontbriand. His son was part of Jacques Cartier’s 1535 expedition that discovered the site of modern day Montréal in Canada. His other son, François, also rebuilt the property’s chapel to house the Holy Thorn, a relic found during the final battle of the Hundred Years War.
The château welcomes FHS student interns each year who serve as guides during the summer. Its current owner, Ambassador Bernard de Montferrand, is president of the French branch of The Society of the Cincinnati.
The Renaissance façade, which has never been fully restored.