Garden of Albertas

2012 Grant of $30,000—Atlanta and New York Chapters

In 1673, the Bouc estate entered into the Albertas family by marriage. The gardens are created in 1751 by Jean-Baptiste d’Albertas, First President of the Court of Accounts and Finance of Aix, and a garden enthusiast.

These 18th-century French gardens, inspired by Italian gardens, are structured in four successive terraces. The upper terrace, where water is captured via four sources, overlooks the garden.

The terrace flowerbeds are boxwood hedge designs, enhanced by four monumental statues, Hercules, David and two gladiators surrounding an octagonal reflecting pool with a central water jet.

One terrace is called “the lawn” with its cool rooms on either side of the basin with 17 jets (in keeping with the original plan from 1751) where eight stone tritons spew water.

The terrace of the Grand Canal with its statue, a symbol of the river tamed, its alignment of plane trees and water table in the shape of a lyre, welcomes visitors.

The gardens also feature a grotto, an old mill, a statue of Neptune, a Montpellier Maple, and an ancient oak tree. The goal is to rehabilitate the garden by following the original plans, which the family possesses.

Restoration: Architectural elements of the gardens