Deyo House

2012 Grant of $7,500—Boston and New York Chapters

Built circa 1692, Deyo House is a striking example of the architectural transitions that took place between the 17th and 20th centuries in early colonial homes. The house reveals itself both as an example of a Flemish-style peasant structure as well as a more modern adaptation of an Edwardian-style “family” home.

Originally constructed by Pierre Deyo, Deyo House is one of seven stone houses on Historic Huguenot Street that serve as reminders of the location’s important role in the history of early French settlements in the Americas.

Along with his parents, Deyo immigrated to the United States from the Artois region of northern France, and his descendants continued to live in the historic New York home until the early 20th century. Now owned by the Huguenot Historical Society, Deyo House has been opened to the public as a museum since 1972 and is distinguished as an important representation of French contribution to the establishment of New York as it is known today.

Restoration: Exterior painting of the house