Meridian House

2012 Grant of $10,000—Washington Regional Chapter

Meridian House was constructed in the early 1920’s, and was designed by John Russell Pope, a student of both Columbia University and the École des Beaux-Arts of Paris, and the architect of sites of national importance such as the Jefferson Memorial and the National Archives in Washington, DC.

Considered one of the greatest examples of 18th-century French style architecture within the United States, Meridian House has been recognized on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973. The famed Louis XVI-inspired entrance hall of the house is host to four oil-on-canvas paintings acquired by the original owner of the home, Ambassador Irwin Laughin, during his frequent travels throughout Europe.

The building is currently part of The Meridian International Center, a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting international understanding.

Restoration: Four oil-on-canvas decorative mural paintings.