Apotheosis of Saint Louis

2015 Grant of $10,000—Paris, Philadelphia Chapters

Apotheosis of St. Louis, the statue of Saint Louis, King Louis IX of France, was the original symbol of the City of St. Louis. The original plaster model of this statue was cast in 1903 by Charles H. Niehaus and stood at the main entrance to the 1904 World's Fair, where the History Museum now is located. The Louisiana Purchase Exposition Company decided to have the sculpture cast in bronze and presented to the City of St. Louis as part of the restoration of Forest Park after the fair. The statue was unveiled in 1906. The statue was last restored in 1999.

Restoration: The statue’s protective coating.