Fort Ticonderoga

2015 Grant of $10,000—Boston Chapter

Fort Ticonderoga played a defining role in the early history of America and Canada and was occupied by three nations during two wars and was the site of a number of influential battles. For a generation, this remote post of Lake Champlain guarded the narrow water highway connecting New France with Britain’s American colonies. Built in 1755 at the beginning of the Seven Year’s War, the French positioned the Fort to overlook the outlet of the La Chute River connecting Lake George with Lake Champlain. The Fort, originally called Carillon by the French, was a masonry and wood structure. It was also the stage of a daring early morning raid by the Vermont Green Mountain Boys in 1775. Many consider this the first American victory in the Revolution. The French presence at the Fort is a vital part of North America’s internationally diverse story.

Restoration: To replace the 90 year old windows and sills of the enlisted men’s barracks.