Château de Commarque

2015 Grant of $20,000—New York Chapter, 2016 Grant of $60,000 - with the support of the Florence Gould Foundation

In 1195, the chevalier Gérard de Commarque, owner the château, left for the Crusades and bequeathed the château to the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem but kept some rights to the estate. At the end of the 13th century, the Beynac family took back the château from the Order. When the Commarque family returned from the Crusades, its members settled in parts of the château, sharing it with the Beynac family, but disputing their right to be there. In 1962, Hubert de Commarque took part in the restoration work and started negotiating to buy back the château, which he did a decade later. He undertook an enormous restoration campaign that is still on-going today. The château has become a historical site of reference in the region and all over France after more than 30 years of intense restoration work.

Restoration: Masonry for octogonal staircase tower.

2016 Grant of $60,000 - with the support of the Florence Gould Foundation

This second FHS grant will help with the restoration of the external walls and chapel of this exceptional site and give it further national and international visiblity.