The mansion was built in 1857 as a dream house for Frederick Stanton, a wealthy cotton broker who immigrated from Ireland and became one of the richest men in Adams County. The palatial house occupied an entire city block. Marble mantel pieces were imported from New York, ornate gasoliers from Philadelphia and immense mirrors from France. Declared a National Historic Landmark in 1974 and a Mississippi Landmark in 1995, it is operated as an historic house museum by the Pilgrimage Garden Club.
Restoration of structural elements.
Atlanta and Louisiana Chapters