The basilica was established in 410 when Emperor Honorius allowed the conversion of Pagan temples to Christianity. The original building was a temple dedicated to Apollo. During the 6th century a church was erected, decorated with golden mosaics. The name derives from the Latin “Deaurata”, meaning aura or gold. It became a Benedictine monastery during the 9th century.
The basilica was demolished in 1761 for the construction of Toulouse’s riverside quays. The present basilica has never been restored since its construction in the late 18th century.
The late 18-century mural paintings of the choir.