Located near Bayeux and the Landing Beaches, the Abbaye de Longues remains an exceptional testimonial of religious life in Normandy in the Middle ages and its architecture and decorative arts. This striking former Benedictine Abbey dates from the 12th century and features a complex of buildings, gardens, and a beautiful collection of 13th-century glazed tiles among the finest in Normandy. Sold during the Revolution, the remaining buildings were saved from ruin by U.S. Senator Charles Dewey who bought the estate in 1932. Spared from destruction in 1944, the abbey is now being restored by its current owners.
Restoration of the roof of the abbey-church
$4,128 in addition to the 2017 FHS Grant of $25,000